adidas golf trainers Local schools urged to test drinking water for lead risk
are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning, and it can have devastating effects on their development, Jacobs said. can be exposed to lead through drinking water, and the most recent example of this happening on a mass scale was in Flint, Mich. Media reports just in the last month have spotlighted schools in San Francisco and Tucson, Ariz., that had lead levels above the allowed 15 parts per billion.
Officials from Public Health Dayton and Montgomery County said paint dust and paint chips, not water, are the primary source of child lead exposure in this area, but no lead level in the blood is safe.
Tom Hut, supervisor of the bureau of special services for Public Health, said his agency worked with Huber Heights schools in summer 2016, when that district found elevated lead levels in a few buildings.
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that schools test for lead in water, but Hut said there is no federal or state law requiring them to do so. He said the test for lead in water costs only about $12 per faucet, making it affordable to test entire schools and districts.
Dayton teachers union President David Romick said he was pleased that DPS was among those that did respond to ABLE request, testing a sampling of six schools across the district.